Route Navigation in Real Time

1. dirion says:

An example of an awesome new feature:

You’re traveling. You don’t know the area. You want to go on a 5 mile run. At your hotel, you use your laptop to create a 5 mile route on gmap-pedometer. Before your run, you grab your phone, start google maps (navigator) app, select the route you created, put on your headphones... off you go on a hassle free run with turn-by-turn directions. No need to memorize the route. No need to pull out a map.

I’ve been searching for ways to do this for several years now. Just recently I was able to create a custom route on google maps (under My Maps, Create). It has turn-by-turn directions (that can be printed out...), but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to get the route into my phone’s google maps navigator. I don’t think we’ll get this feature from google anytime soon. If gmap pedometer can hack into google maps I think it would be great if a gmap nav app was created to load and play back these routes.

Tip: The best way to carry your phone on a run is with a FlipBelt. I got one for Christmas last year. If you use it to carry your phone in the middle of your back, waist high, you don’t even know it’s there.